Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I Don't Want To Go To The Ball Ch6

I Don’t Want To Go To The Ball
Chapter 6: Sunday, the Thirteenth
Deathy: Well, welcome back to this story is going somewhere I promise. What have I done to myself? I have given myself so much work that I can’t keep up. Now on to reviews.
Mewfatima: I separate the scenes with a BOLD word. I do that because I write with Word and I press enter twice to separate scenes but those don’t show up on FF.net. So I started bolding the first letter of the first word, but I switched later on to just bolding the first word of a new scene. Though I did realized I missed one scene and went back to fix it.
Guest: I would like to direct you to this sentence from last chapter: “Shadow listed several other things before he stopped.” You must’ve skipped over that line while reading.
Disclaimer: If you think I own anything, you’re probably nuts.
[][][
Amy woke up to someone pounding on her door. She rolled out of bed and stumbled down her steps. Amy rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she pulled back the door.
“Hello?” She looked up at her visitor. “Shadow? What are you doing here so late at night?”
Shadow looked at his watch. “It’s five thirty-two in the morning.” He showed her his lit up watch.
Amy nodded as she processed the time. 5:32. A.M. … Amy looked up at him dumbfounded. “Why are you here so early?”
“I couldn’t sleep.” Shadow stated simply.
Amy slumped against the door. Shadow wasn’t one to show up at random hours. Something had to be bothering him. She was just amazed he was on her door step and not Rouge’s. “Come on in. I’ll make some coco.”
Amy placed a hot mug of hot chocolate in front of her guest. Shadow took it with a court thank you. Amy yawned as she sat down across from him.
“So what’s up?” Amy asked as she sat up straight.
“I woke you up.” Shadow stated as he stared into his cup.
“Yeah. But I forgive you.”
“What would happen if you didn’t forgive me?”
“I would’ve smacked you with my hammer.” Amy beamed with a proud smile.
Shadow snorted as a smirked replaced his usual frown. “You really like your hammer Rose.”
“Yep.” Amy nodded. “So what brings you here?”
Shadow took a sip of his hot chocolate. “I wanted to know if you really meant that comment from the other day.”
Amy tilted her head. “Which one?”
“The one were you said I was too proud to admit when I liked something.” His red eyes glanced up to her emerald ones.
Amy slammed her head on the table. Shadow backed away. “Mari-An was right.” Amy’s voice was muffled by the table, but he still heard it. Amy pulled herself up. “I’m sorry Shadow. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. Honest. It was just…” Amy waved her hands about as she searched for the right words.
Shadow leaned across the table and grabbed a hold of Amy’s hand. “It’s okay Rose,” he spoke softly as she calmed down. “You were just trying to help. The king’s question stumped me.”
“But my comment still upset you. Mari-An was right. Rob too.” Amy pouted. “I’m sorry. I really am.”
“It’s okay Rose,” he repeated. “It’s okay. I thought about it and you were right. I do have trouble admitting when I like something. That’s why I couldn’t sleep.”
“My comment hurt that much?!” she exclaimed.
“No. I’ve been trying to think of ways to change it.” Shadow stated.
“So you came over my house to tell me that?” Amy tilted her head. Shadow must have wanted help with it. Amy nodded as she came to that conclusion. “Well, let’s start with things you like. You seem to really like chocolate.”
Shadow arched an eyebrow at her. “What makes you say that?”
“You always have this very faint smile when eat chocolate. Plus when I make sweets, you go for the chocolate ones first.” Amy shrugged as if it was obvious. “I just figured.”
Shadow thought about it. “Your right.” Shadow nodded. “I never noticed I did that before.”
Amy chuckled. “I don’t think anyone else has either.”
“But you did?”
“I just notice things.” Amy shrugged. “Especially when it comes to food it seems. It’s how I found out my cousin hates asparagus. But he would force himself to eat it when I cooked it. He still won’t admit it though.”
Shadow chuckled. “That’s the first I’ve heard you talk about your cousin.” He rested his head in the palm of his hand. “And your family for that matter. Why is that?”
Amy bit her lip as she shrugged. She wasn’t sure why she didn’t talk about her family often. It just wasn’t something she did.
Shadow took another sip of his hot chocolate. “Well, let’s change subjects. I came over to tell…”
“Who art thou?” A male asked as he came down the stairs. “And wherefore art thou in the house?” The teal hedgehog held up a bow and arrow.
Shadow just stared at him. It was King Rob O’Hedge. His pale yellow green eyes glaring through Shadow in a half awake phase. He was only wearing his boxers by the looks of it
“Rob put the bow down.” Amy ordered as she got up from the table. She stood in front of him as she held out her hand.
“Rose?” Shadow called to her.
“Come on, give me the bow.” Amy ordered as if he were a child.
“Why is he here?” Rob tilted his head. “Is he a cut-purse thou’re pacifying with hot coco and table side conv’rsation?”
“No. He’s my friend. Now give me the bow.” Amy began tapping her foot.
Rob sighed as he handed over the weapon.
“Quiver too.” Amy added. Rob scrunched as he untied the quiver from his leg. A pout was visible on his face as he handed it over. Amy nodded as he held them and walked upstairs. “I’ll be right back. You two play nice.”
Shadow just sat there with his mouth slightly agape as he watched the pink hedgehog ascend upstairs. Rob walked over to the table and shook his head at the black hedgehog. He leaned over and popped Shadow’s mouth close with his index finger.
“Thou’ll catcheth flies if thou keepeth gapping liketh that.” Rob teased as he slumped down in a chair. Rob glanced at the clock before glancing back at Shadow. “So what endues thou hither mine good fellow?”
Shadow simply stared at him. “Why are you here?”
Rob smirked as he sat up. “Nay one hath told thou. Well this is going to geteth int’resting.”
“What’s going to get interesting?” Amy asked as she sat back down.
Rob just smiled. “Thou’ll seeth. I’m going to geteth some coco while thou two talketh.”
“Rose, why is he here?” Shadow gestured to the king.
“Oh. Rob is cousin. He’s staying with me for a while.” Amy stated with a meek smile.
Shadow’s jaw dropped. “The king of Mercia is your cousin?”
Amy nodded.
Shadow pinched the bridge of his nose. “I’m having trouble understanding this. How are you two related?”
“Ah! Anon is the fun parteth!” Rob smirked as he sat down. “Shall I explaineth?”
Amy waved him onward.
“Mine fath'r and Amy's moth'r art siblings. In fact, amy's moth'r was queen 'ere mine fath'r became king. Mine fath'r marri'd and had me longeth 'ere amy was b'rn. Mine dear aunt doubt'd h'r f'rtility so she gave the coronet to mine fath'r. She gave birth to Amy aft'rwards. I recall h'r calling mine dear cousin h'r miracle child. In fact, the people gave mine cousin many titles. Mine minion was 'Coeur rose de la Reine.' It slipp'd off the tongue p'rfectly.” Rob smiled.
Shadow nodded as it all sank in. “So if Rose is your cousin, why doesn’t she have a royal title?”
“She dost. She just hasn’t us’d it in years.” Rob stated.
“My parents wanted to grow up without it so I would grow up closer to the people. But since I’m of age now, I’m supposed to use it at social functions and junk.” Amy stated. “I actually found out I had one a few days ago.”
“What is your title Rose?” Shadow asked curiously.
“She is the Duchess of Mercia.” Rob stated proudly. “And ye are h’r date to the ball. Thoust also cometh to couzs,mhrt h’r at,” he looked at the clock, “Thou c’rtainly loveth to woe young maidens in the early hours of the m’rning, don’t thou?”
Amy’s face turned bright red. Shadow opened his mouth to retort, but Amy smacked the teal hedgehog hard on the arm. “Shadow didn’t come here for that!” she yelled. “He just came to talk.”
Rob smirked as he arched an eyebrow. “Just came to talketh, aye?” he mused. “Nay maneth comes to a young maiden’s house in the dark hours of the m’rning just to talketh.” He knew his cousin was naïve, but even she had to see what he saw. Still, it would be fun to observe them from afar. “Ah well, nay useth in trying to explaineth it to thou. Ye are as innocent as the rose thou’re nam’d aft’r, mine dear cousin. I’m going backeth to b’d. Please sendeth thy suit’r home lief.”
“He’s not my suitor!” Amy called as her cousin left the kitchen. Rob simply waved a hand over his shoulder.

Amy glared at her cousin over her pancakes. Jon could feel the annoyance and anger surrounding the pink hedgehog and promptly sat as far away from his father as possible. He didn’t know what his dad had done, but he was sure he would figure it out eventually.
“What’s the mattereth Amy?” Mari-An inquired as she took a bite of her pancakes. Amy made delicious pancakes, but even she could taste that something was off about Amy when she took a bite. Amy’s flushed face was also a clear billboard sign that something had embarrassed the poor girl.
“Nothing.” Amy pouted.
“Art thou sure?” Rob gave a happy smirk. “What did thy suit’r doeth to causeth thy faceth to be so r’d today?”
“He isn’t my suitor! He’s my friend. He came over to talk and you made him uncomfortable!” Amy yelled, her red face turning to a burgundy purple.
Mari-An sighed as she shook her head. Rob opened his mouth to continue his teasing, until he was face first in pancakes.
Jon jumped back in his seat. He stared wide eyed at his mother.
“Wherefore don’t thou boys goeth mingle with the oth’r men while Amy and I hast some lady timeth?” Mari-An’s suggestion was more of a threatening order and Rob understood it instantly.
“That sounds liketh a wond’rful idea, mine loveth.” Rob wiped the pancakes off his face.

Mari-An and Amy washed the dishes in silence. The boys had left to go play ball with Sonic and the other guys. Amy hadn’t spoken a word since breakfast. She didn’t know what to say and didn’t want to get on Mari-An’s bad side. The lady was so stern sometimes.
“So who visit'd thou this m'rning?” Mari-An asked as she handed her a cup of tea.
“Shadow.” Amy answered as she stirred in some honey.
“The black and r'd one we met the oth'r day?” Mari-An took a sip of her tea. Amy nodded. “So that's who was hither this m'rning. what did thou two talketh about?”
“Stuff.” Amy shrugged.
Mari-An rested her head on the back of her hand and nodded. She hadn’t known Amy as long as her husband or the Knothole freedom fighters. Mari-An still understood that she was one of the few female figures the pink hedgehog had though. “Telleth me about Shadow.”

Rouge arched an eyebrow as Shadow sat at the bar of her club. She hadn’t expected to see him today. He was staring at the counter holding his head in the palm of his hand.
“What brings you here Shadow?” She poured him a cup of coffee.
“They’re related.” Shadow stared into the black abyss of his coffee.
“Who are related?” Rouge tilted her head as she sat down.
“Rose and King Rob.” Shadow grabbed a cream and dumped it into his coffee.
“Yeah, they’re cousins.” Rouge nodded. “That’s basic knowledge.”
Shadow stared up at the white bat. “You knew?” he whispered.
“I thought everyone knew,” she shrugged. Her eyes widened slightly as she glanced at Shadow. “But you didn’t,” she pointed at him. He shook his head. “So… big bit of information to swallow?”
“Yes.” Shadow slumped over. “It’s just that Rose. She doesn’t come across as…”
“Royalty?” Rouge hummed. “I know. I had trouble believing it when I first found out.”
“How did you find out?” He glanced up at her.
Rouge chuckled. “I am a spy. I was curious about the Kingdom of Mercia at one point before I joined G.U.N. There was this really cool treasure.”
“Shiny gems you wanted?” Shadow smirked. He knew his co-worker oh too well.
“Yes,” she nodded, “But back to the point. During my research the royal family came up. Amy is the daughter of Queen Lilith O’Hedge. Power switched from her to her brother, King George, because she didn’t have an heir. The people doubted she was even capable of having a kid, so it was basically a change of power to please the people, though she still ran a lot of things from the sidelines.”
Shadow nodded. He heard this from Rob earlier. “What else do you know?” He was sure Rouge knew more than Rob or Rose would probably tell him. Shadow was very curious about this, but something else was bugging him. Then it dawned on him. Amy’s mother was Queen. “Wait, what about Rose’s father? Was he king too?”
Rouge grinned a cat’s grin that made Shadow’s stomach twist uncomfortably. “Ooooohhh…” She sang. “Now that’s a juicy bit of information. I doubt even Amy knows.” Shadow leaned closer with interest. “You should know, Queen Lilith never married. Ever. Trust me, I’ve looked for any sign of a marriage document, but there isn’t. Amy has many nicknames because of it. Some aren’t so nice. Others are sweet and enduring, calling her a miracle or the queen’s heart or whatever. But the main problem is that no one knows who Amy’s father is. No one. He’s not listed anywhere that the public can get to. The only publicly available reference to Amy’s father that I’ve been able to find is that he attended a ball with Queen Lilith and Amy years ago.”
“What ball?”
“A ball in Mercia.” Rouge shrugged. “It was for some festival or something. But Dr. Robotnik decided to storm into Mercia that day and began his take over. No one has seen Queen Lilith since. But as far as Amy’s father. There are many rumors and speculations as to who he might be.”
“So it’s all basically gossip as to who he is?”
“Yep.” Rouge nodded. “Some of the rumors are really juicy though. They make for a great story. It’s a shame none of them are true though.”
Shadow nodded in agreement as he took a sip of his drink. Public. The word repeated. Not anywhere that the public can get to. “What did you mean by he’s not listed anywhere that the public can get to?” His ruby eyes pierced through her ocean green. The white bat smirked. She knew he would catch on to that. “Are there private files you found during your research? Do they mention Rose’s father?”
Rouge merely hummed as she poured him another cup. “Why are you so interested in Amy’s family, Shadow?” She didn’t look up to meet his eyes. She turned her back to him as she began brewing another pot of coffee. She knew a lot of things from her research. She was a treasure hunter and that information certainly was a treasure.
Shadow slumped back in his chair. He didn’t know why was interested. He was just curious. He didn’t even know Rose had family until this week. Of course he was curious. Why hadn’t she mentioned them before? Did she hide them on purpose? They seemed so close and happy, so he doubted they were estranged.
“Maybe she didn’t want to make anyone sad.” Rouge answered.
Shadow arched a brow at her.
“You were talking a loud,” she smirked. “But Amy is a kind girl. She didn’t want to make anyone feel sad because they’re families aren’t here with them. A lot of the Freedom Fighters were orphaned for a long time, so Amy just didn’t share her family. She tries really hard to make everyone smile, so she focuses on things around them that will make them happy instead of talking about something that might make people sad.” She pointed at the black hedgehog. “She’s especially careful about avoiding the topic of family in front of you because you technically don’t have one. Though Gerald and Maria were probably the closest things you had to a family. Amy doesn’t want you to feel any more isolated then you already are. Amy is being a good friend.”
Shadow swallowed all that information with the rest of his coffee. “I never thought about it like that.”
“Of course you didn’t.” Rouge sighed. “You’re factual. You think about the straight facts. You’re not very good with the psychological. That’s what I’m here for.” She beamed proudly at this fact as she pointed her thumb at herself.
Shadow smirked.
“But if you want to know more about Amy’s family.” Rouge teased, “Maybe you should ask her about it. You know, girls like it when a guy shows interest.”
Shadow tilted his head.
“Shadow. Shadow. Shadow.” Rouge shook her head. “You can admit you have a crush on Amy anytime now.”
“What?” Shadow chocked on his spit. “I don’t have a crush on Rose! We’re merely friends. Our relationship is strictly platonic.”
Rouge burst into laughter. She hadn’t expected to find a flustered Shadow to be so amusing. “Shadow, I’ve worked with you for ten years now. I think we’ve been friends long enough to know when the other has a crush on someone.”
Shadow clenched his fist. They were sweaty and clamy and he knew Rouge knew it. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves before looking at his long time co-worker and partner. “How’s your relationship with Knuckles going?” he mused with a smirk.
A slight blush appeared on her cheeks. “It’s going well, I guess.” She shrugged. “We’re still… working things out.”
“Like how you won’t try to steal the Master Emerald anymore?” Shadow teased.
“Shut up!” Rouge swatted his shoulder.
[][]][][][

Deathy: I actually wasn’t sure about including the RougeXKnuckles pairing, but I did it. So too late now. I wonder if anyone still reads this thing. In other news, I’m still working on lots of projects. I finished a short story I plan on publishing after I draw some pictures for it. I’m also working on this story and my rewritten version of Sonic Underground. Working slowly on my original work. I’m also doing a storyboard for Little Mermaid in my storyboarding class. It’ll be super fun. I’m still playing Pokémon Blue. It’s fun. Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter! There are 3 more chapters to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment