Saturday, June 6, 2015

I Don't Want To Go To The Ball Ch4

I Don’t Want to Go To the Ball
Chapter 4: Friday, the Eleventh
Krissie: I should be working on school work… But I’m writing fanfics. This must be college life. Also, I’m using an English to Shakespearean translator for Rob O’ Hedge, Mari-An, and Jon.
More Ages:
Max Acorn: 65
Alicia Acorn: 60
Rob O’Hedge: 29
Jon O’Hedge: 10
Elias: 27
Alexis: 10
Megan: 28
Disclaimer: This chapter is 11 pages long in Word. So enjoy this extremely long chapter.
[][][][
Amy awoke up a long ringing. Normally the pink hedgehog would be furious that someone was calling her before she woke up, but she was grateful. She had had a horrible nightmare. She felt as if she had been trapped in it. She raced to the phone as if it were the key to saving her life.
“Hello?” She asked as she held the phone to her ear.
“Hello cousin!” A familiar male voice spoke softly but full of cheer.
Amy looked outside and saw that the sun was barely rising over the horizon. “Hello Rob.” She greeted, feeling her breath calming down.
“Cousin, art thou humour well? Thou soundeth ill.” Rob asked, growing concern.
“No.” Amy shook her head. “I just had a bad dream. Thanks for calling.”
Rob sighed. “I hopeth the nightmare wasn’t too much, mine dear cousin. I just want’d to seeth how thou wast.”
“I’m doing well. I have to get an early start today anyway. I have to get a dress for the peace ball.” Amy told him as she wiped some of the sweat off her head.
“Joy!” Rob cheered, causing Amy to pull the phone away from her ear. “I want’d to talketh to thou about the peace ball.”
“Really? What about it?” Amy asked.
“Well, we’re coming f’r it of course!” Rob giggled.
“Of course you are!” Amy giggled. How could she forget that her cousin was the king of Mercia?
“We was wond’ring if thou wouldn’t mind showing us around when we got thither. Wewas also wond’ring if thou want’d to attendeth with us.” Rob stated.
“Of course I’ll show you guys around!” Amy exclaimed. She was sure she had damaged her cousin’s eardrum, but he would be fine. “What else is family for silly? I would love to go with you guys to ball too, but I’m going with Shadow. But I’ll meet you guys there.”
Rob was quite for a moment. “Shadow?” He repeated. “Thou meaneth that ebony hedgehog who w’rks f’r G.U.N.?”
“Yes. That Shadow.” Amy nodded. “Commander Towers told him he had to go to the ball to show that he wanted peace despite all the stuff that happened on the Ark. Rouge told him to bring a date because people will be less likely to bug him. So he asked me if I would go with him.”
“Um-hmm.” Rob sounded from the other end. “Thou did sayeth that he wasn’t one f’r social things once. Ye are a kind girl, mine cousin.
Amy beamed with joy as she pulled out a cup of yogurt from her fridge. “So when can I expect you? You guys can stay with me if you want. I just have to prepare the guest room.”
“That sounds lovely.” She could hear Rob’s smile on other end. “We art actually almost thither anon. We shouldst be thither by lunchtime.”
“Really?!” Amy nearly chocked on her yogurt.
“Aye.” Rob chuckled nervously. “Mine most sinc’re apologies f’r such late noticeth, cousin.”
“It’s okay.” Amy sighed as she leaned against the counter. “Thought tomorrow I’m dragging you dress shopping with me.”
Rob gave a hearty laugh. “Is that my punishment, cousin?”
“It’s that or tickling you with a feather, Rob.” Amy laughed.
“Bit thee by the ear. We will be seeing thou lief.” Rob stated.
“Love you too.” Amy smiled before hanging up the phone. She looked around her house and squealed. It had been so long since she had seen her cousin that she couldn’t have been happier.

Amy beamed as she looked at her spotless house. She had been cleaning it for hours. Amy sat down on her couch with relief. She looked at the clock. It was almost lunchtime. Amy pulled her boots over her feet before walking out the door.
She was meet with Sonic’s jade eyes. “Hey Amy!” Sonic gave a wave. “Rob and Mari-An just landed.”
Amy squealed. Sonic instinctively took a step back, not wanting to be attacked by one of Amy’s famous hugs. “Where are they?” Amy ran pass the blue hedgehog.
Sonic chuckled as he caught up to the pink hedgehog. “They’re at the castle talking to King Max.”

“Rob!” Amy cried as she tackled the teal hedgehog to the ground.
Rob let out a yelp as his face collided with the tile. His wife giggled as she held back their son, Jon, who wanted to join in on the hug. Max arched an eyebrow as he took in the sight.
“Hello cousin!” Rob laughed as he held himself on his elbows. “’Tis so nice to seeth thou too, but wouldst thou mind getting off of me? I can not seeth aught beyond the castle tile.”
“Sorry.” Amy gave a nervous laugh as she rolled off her cousin. “It’s just been so long seen I’ve seen you guys.”
“Hello Amy!” Jon waved.
“Jon!” Amy gave the young echidna a tight hug. “You’ve gotten so big since the last time I’ve seen you.”
Jon giggled as he wrapped his arms around his cousin. “Thy hair hath gotten longeth.”
Amy pulled back and grabbed one of her quills. He was right. Her hair reached passed her shoulders now. “I must’ve forgotten to trim it. I’ll cut it later.”
“Nay!” Mari-An shook her head. “Don’t doeth that. It looks nice that length. It suits thou well; elegant yet sweet and young.”
Amy smiled as she wrapped her arms around Mari-An’s waist. “Thanks Mari-An.” She beamed up at her.
Mari-An chuckled as she brushed Amy’s hair with her fingers. “Doeth thou not wisheth to geteth off the palace flo’r? Thou looketh liketh a bawbling child standing on thy hams liketh that.”
“I rath’r liketh the sight from hither. It reminds me of the corky days when Amy clung to mine forks when I wouldst goeth out f’r hunts with fath’r.” Rob stretched as he stood up. “Thanketh thou so much f’r having us, King Maximilian and Queen Alicia. ‘Tis a great hon’r f’r us.”
“It is a great honor for us too.” Max bowed. “Will you be staying here at the palace?”
“Aw…” Amy pouted. “I thought you guys would be staying with me. I have the guest room all ready and everything.”
Rob chuckled.
“Doeth I hast to shareth a room with mom and dad?” Jon asked, somewhat whiny.
“Well, I have an extra guest room in the basement with my exercise equipment if you want to sleep there. I have it ready too.” Amy answered with a smile.
Jon nodded, content that he wouldn’t have to sleep in the same room as his parents.
“Thanketh thou, but I thinketh I’ll be taking cousin up on h’r humble offereth.” Rob bowed. “We will be seeing thou lat’r.”
“Of course.” Max and Alicia smiled as they watched them leave.
“Oh wait a minute!” Max called as he chased after the teal hedgehog. Rob gave him a confused look. “What about that thing we were discussing?”
“Oh!” Rob nodded as he smiled. Amy gave a confused look as watched them. “I almost forgot to asketh.” He turned to Amy with a bright smile. But Amy knew that smile too well. That was the smile he gave her when he was about to ask her to do something she wouldn’t want to, like the time he asked her to help him get eggs from the chickens when they were little. “King Maximilian and I wanteth to knoweth if thou wouldst liketh to useth thy title at the ball on the sixteenth.”
“Title?” Amy tilted her head. What title? She didn’t have a title.
Rob sighed as Mari-An rubbed Amy’s shoulder.
“Sweetie, thou knoweth how we’re the rul’rs of Merica, right?” Mari-An asked in a calm voice.
“Yeah.” Amy nodded. “What does that have to do with a title?”
“Just stayeth with me.” Mari-An ordered. “Thou knoweth how thy parents us’d to be the rul’rs ‘ere thy uncle?” Amy nodded. “Well, just because thy parents art nay long’r king and queen, thou still hast a title. A royal title.”
Amy’s green eyes widened as she finally understood. “I have a royal title?”
“Aye.” Rob nodded as he wrapped his arm around his cousin. “Thy parents want’d thou to growth up liketh a common’r so thou wouldst be clos’r to the people, so we haven’t been able to calleth thou by thy title. But anon that ye are of age, we can calleth thou by such. Since ye are going to the ball, we needeth to calleth thou by title. It’ll be a great insult to all of Mercia if we don’t. But we want’d to asketh if thou wish’d to be calleth by thy title at the ball first.”
Amy thought about it for a moment. If she didn’t go by her title, it would an insult to all of Mercia? She didn’t want to get her cousin into any trouble. It wouldn’t hurt to go by it for one evening. “I don’t mind.” Amy nodded. “What is it though?”
Max smiled as he looked at Amy as if she were an innocent child who just couldn’t wrap her head around 2 + 2 = 4.
“Thou’re the duchess of Mercia, silly!” Jon stated as he grabbed onto her arm.
“The duchess?” Amy shrieked. “That can’t be right. The courts been saying the duchess has been missing for years.”
“You haven’t been missing.” Alicia chuckled as she stood beside her husband. “You’ve merely been absent from Mercian court because you’ve been too young. In order to protect you from any danger, the elders of the Mercian court decided to say you were missing until you were of age. King Rob hasn’t been sure how to reintroduce you to the court though.”
“When the ball came up, the eld’rs said it wouldst be the perfecteth timeth f’r thou goeth by thy meet title again.” Rob stated.
Amy nodded.
“I feeleth liketh I shouldst telleth thou, the rest of the Mercian court will be attending the ball. Just be yourself and enjoyeth the ball. If they wanteth to asketh thou any questions about thy title, sendeth them to us.” Mari-An stated.
“Okay.” Amy nodded.

“And that’s basically it!” Amy stated as she finished the tour of her house.
“I liketh it!” Jon bounced on the couch.
“Lil’ Jon.” Rob shook his head. “Don’t bounceth on Amy’s couch.”
“Jon, dad, Jon.” Jon gave a delicious whine. “Dram Jon is so… childish!”
“I rather like Little Jon.” Amy smiled as rested her arms on the back of the couch. “It’s cute.”
“I don’t. It’s childish. I’m not a child.” Jon crossed his arms and gave a pout.
“Yes ye are.” Rob stated.
Jon turned his pout towards his father.
Amy chuckled. “Your dad is right Jon. You’re 10. That makes you a child.”
“But thou wast helping fighteth Eggman when thou wast 10. And Tails was building planes. Building planes!” Jon tried to argue his case.
Amy laughed as she rustled Jon’s hair. “Yes. We were doing all that. But we were still children then. And so are you, Little Jon.”
Jon pouted. “I’m nev’r going to escapeth this nickname, am I?”
“Nope.” Rob smirked as he popped the P loudly.
“Wilt thou teaseth our son?” Mari-An asked as she came out of the guest room.
“Of course! Whence is the joy in life if I can’t teaseth mine owneth son?” Rob grinned. “He knows I doeth it out of loveth, right son?”
Mari-An shook her head. “V’ry  well. Amy, I brought some dresses from Mercia. I thinketh thou might wanteth to weareth one of these as thy ball gown.”
“Really?” Amy skipped up the stairs.
“Aye.” Mari-An nodded. “Wouldst thou liketh to tryeth some on?
“I would!” Amy nodded. “You two can judge.” She gestured to the boys downstairs.
Rob plopped down on the couch. “I am already bound to doeth so, but wilt we punisheth the sirrah too?
Amy hummed. “I guess not.  Jon, if you want you can out to play. You’ve been to Uncle Chuck’s diner. Just don’t wonder too far without anyone, okay?”
“Okay!” Jon nodded as he jumped off the couch. “Hast fun dad!”
“Same to thou, son.” Rob gave a lazy wave.

Shadow stopped at the front of familiar diner. Sonic grinned a few inches away from him. The blue hedgehog was too happy to have won their little race.
“Looks like I’m still faster, Shadow.” Sonic grinned.
Shadow crossed his arms and hmphed.
Sonic rolled his eyes. “Let’s get something to eat, I’m starving.” Sonic opened the door to Uncle Chuck’s diner. The blue hedgehog was instantly hit by a red blur.
“Hi Sonic!” The voice rang.
Shadow arched an eyebrow. “Who is this?” The black hedgehog had been around the blue hedgehog long enough to know most of the people who would hug him. Though the only one he knew that would tackle hug him like the red echidna did was Rose.
“Oh hey Jon!” Sonic beamed at the boy. “I thought you would be with Amy all day.”
“Nah.” Jon shook his head. “Amy is trying on dresses with mother. Father is stuck being the judge. So I came here hoping we could play.”
Sonic nodded. “Maybe later. Shadow and I just got through with a race and hungry.”
Jon froze. He looked up at the black hedgehog. His wide eyes soon narrowed as he looked the hedgehog up and down.
Shadow crossed his arms and he looked down at the boy. He couldn’t have been more than 10 years old. Jon mimicked him. Shadow hmphed. “Do you have a problem with me?”
Jon gave him a skeptical look. “Art thou a gentleman?”
“What?” Shadow blinked. The boy went from speaking like any normal kid to talking like Shakespeare.
“Art thou a gentleman?” Jon repeated as he put his hands on his hips. “Aye ‘r nay.”
Sonic shook his head as he put a hand on Jon’s shoulder. “Jon, remember that talk we had about how people here don’t talk like your parents and you do?”
“I remember Sonic.” Jon gave Sonic a sweet smile. “I just want to know if he’s a gentleman.”
“Why do you want to know if I’m a gentleman?” Shadow put his hands on his hips and gave the boy a questioning look.
“Thou’re Shadow Hedgehog, art thou not? The ultimate lifeform from Space Colony Ark? A maneth of G.U.N. The only oth’r p’rson on Mobius who can runeth at the speedeth of soundeth? Am I wrong?”
“No.” Shadow shook his head. “I’m Shadow the Hedgehog.”
“So, art thou a gentleman ‘r not?” Jon pouted as he tapped his foot.
Shadow shrugged. “I wouldn’t consider myself one. Why is it so important to you, anyway?”
Jon made a popping sound with his lips. “Oh mine! It seems I’ve f’rgotten to introduceth myself. I am Jon O’Hedge.” Jon held his hand out to the black hedgehog. “Ye are taking mine dear cousin to the ball in a few days. I just want’d to knoweth what kind of maneth was esc’rting h’r.”
Shadow stood there dumbfounded for a moment with a blank face. “Cousin? You’re Rose’s cousin?”
“Aye!” Jon beamed with pride. He looked at his extended arm. “We’re supposed to shake hands now.” He whispered as he nodded to his hand.
Shadow shook hands with him.
Jon beamed with a huge smile that made want to cringe. He wasn’t sure what was going to happen next with this kid. “May I join you guys for lunch?” He asked sweetly.
“I don’t see why not.” Sonic shrugged. “Do you Shadow?” Shadow merely shrugged. “So it’s cool! Why don’t you get the menus for us?” Jon nodded and bolted towards the counter and Sonic sat down in a booth. Shadow took the opposite seat. “I’m going to warn you now. Jon likes to ask a lot of questions. And I mean A LOT.” Sonic stated in a hushed voice. “This time I think you’re the target of his a thousand questions.”
“I’m sure he doesn’t talk as much as you faker.” Shadow teased. “Though I was unaware that Rose had any family. She never speaks of them. I figure she would have mentioned having a sibling by now.”
“That’s because Amy is an only child.” Jon informed as he handed out the menus and sat down next to Sonic. “My grandfather and her mother were siblings. My father is her actual cousin. I’m her cousin once removed, I think that’s what it’s called.” Jon shrugged. “I don’t really know.”
Shadow nodded as he opened the menu. Sonic already knew what he was ordering. His usual of 2 chilidogs and a soda. Shadow didn’t eat much, but his eyes found what he wanted to eat. Loaded fries sounded like a dream since they still couldn’t figure out how Amy had gotten to that lake. Loaded French fries were his favorite thing to eat that wasn’t a sweet when he was frustrated.
“So what do you want to eat, Jon?” Sonic grinned at him.
Jon gave a meek smile. “There are a lot of choices.” He stated as he read over the menu. He pulled several coins and placed them on the table as he began counting.
“What are you doing?” Shadow folded his menu and watched him.
“I’m making sure I have enough for my meal and a tip.” Jon stated as he continued counting.
Shadow nodded. He took notice of the accent change again. “Why don’t I cover your tab for today? I doubt the waiter wants to count all those coins anyway. What kind of coins are those anyway?” Shadow had seen many different currencies before, but none like the thick coins Jon was currently counting on the table.
Sonic sighed as he shook his head. “Did Rob not give you any money?”
“No. I have plenty from my allowance right here.” Jon gestured to the coins on the table.
Sonic smiled. “No, silly. I mean, Acorian money. The Republic of Acorns and G.U.N. countries use similar currency, so we can easily exchange between the two countries. But Mercian money is different. It has a completely different value than ours, so you have to take it to a bank to have it exchanged.”
Jon nodded as he began to understand. “Well, this is awkward. Can I take you up on that offer, Mister Shadow?”
“Shadow. Just Shadow.” Shadow stated. He hated being called mister. He didn’t like it. “And yes. It does. Though, I must admit, I’ve never seen a currency from Mercia. Do they not have bills there?”
Jon thought about it for a moment. “Bills? Are those tariffs or those paper things that they use here?”
“Paper.” Sonic answered.
“Then no. We don’t have bills.” Jon answered honestly. “We do, however, have lots of coins. All kinds.”
“Your country sounds… odd to me.” Shadow stated simply as they gave their orders to the waitress.
Jon nodded. “I can get that. Amy says that people usually think things are strange when met with a different way of doing things. It’s why I try to drop by native accent for one more like you guys when I’m here. I still think a lot of things here are odd.”
Sonic chuckled. “It does get jarring after a while, huh?”
“Yep!” Jon nodded. “I think this is my second time being here. Last time I was barely here two hours before it was time to go home.”
“Actually you were here longer, but you were asleep through most of it.” Sonic smirked.
Jon blushed. “It’s a long trip.” He murmured.

Rob propped his feet up on the table. “Ah! I remembereth that dresseth.”
Amy cringed slightly. “From where? And do I want to know anything else?” She loved her cousin, but every so often he said some rather intimate things to his wife in front of her that would make any normal person blush just saying it. Amy was even more concern since this dress was rather revealing.
“Well, I’ve nev’r w’rn this. So thou shouldst be safe.” Mari-An stated as she fixed the sash on the green dress.
“Ah. Thou might not remembereth, dear cousin, but thy moth’r w’rn that gown.” Rob smiled sweetly. “I was just a bawbling tike then, but I remembereth. She taught me a few steps that day.”
Amy felt her breath caught in her throat. “Mother wore this?” She looked down at the gown. Every picture of her mother she had seen had her wearing elegant, reserved clothes. This dress had a low neckline that show a considerable amount of cleavage that Amy wasn’t used to.
“Aye.” Rob nodded. “She look’d beautiful in it, just as thou doeth anon.”
Amy felt water come to her eyes. She barely remembered her parents. She couldn’t ever recall being compared to her mother before. Something about it caused a strange ache to form in her chest. “I do?” Amy gave a meek smile.
“Aye.” Rob nodded. “Frankly, I thinketh the dresseth wouldst be prefect f’r thou to weareth. Don’t thou agreeth, mine ladybirde?”
“Aye. It’s absolutely wond’rful on thou.” Mari-An stated. “Shall we goeth with this one?”
Amy looked down at the dress. It was a bit to revealing for her taste. But she had to admit, she liked it. She stared at herself in the mirror. Amy always tried to dress nice, and she felt she accomplished it somewhat well. Even if Sonic didn’t love her the way she wanted. She looked nice, she knew that. But this was a different nice then all the nice she had looked before. This was sexy nice. Amy had doubted her ability to look sexy in the past, but now, she couldn’t deny it. She did look sexy in this dress. She grinned.
“Yeah. We’ll go with this one.” Amy nodded.

They found Jon walking around with Sonic and Shadow. Jon seemed to be chatting away as he walked between the two. Amy smirked as they watched them from a distance. She whispered to her cousins, who giggled at the idea.
“I’ve got ya!” Amy exclaimed as she glomped the red echidna. Jon let out a high pitch screech as Amy hoisted him into the air. “Have you been a good boy?”
“Aye! Aye! I’ve been good.” Jon gasped between fits of giggles.
“I can vow for him, Ames.” Sonic grinned. Something about watching the boy frail his limbs about in the air was way too amusing for the blue hedgehog.
“Really?” Amy put Jon back on the ground, but kept an arm around him. “Did he buy you chilidogs to gain your loyalty?”
“No.” Sonic shook his head.
“Is this true Shadow?” Amy turned to the black hedgehog.
“Yes. It’s true.” Shadow stated. “Your cousin has been well behaved since we ran into him.”
“See! I’ve been good.” Jon smiled as he struggled to get out of Amy’s strong grasp. He huffed as he couldn’t escape and leaned back against her. “Did you and mother finish trying on those gowns? I figured you’d be at it all night.”
“I found one I like, so I’m wearing that to the ball.” Amy ran her hand through his hair. His hair wasn’t like normal dreadlocks that an echidna would have. They had a sharp edge to them, similar to a hedgehog’s.
Jon smiled. “What color is it?”
“Green.” Amy told him.
Jon nodded. “What shade?”
Amy arched an eyebrow at him. “Why do you need to know?”
“Because mother brought 3 green dresses.” Jon held up three fingers. “One was a light green, one was a forest, and the other one would be perfect for you. Not too dark, not too bright. Plus, father and I made a bet on which one you would chose.”
“I take it you voted for the third green dress?” Shadow arched an eyebrow. Jon nodded.
“So what are you winning?” Amy squeezed Jon tighter.
Jon gave a wide smirk. He placed his finger to his mouth as he showed off his pearly teeth. “It’s a secret.”
“What do you mean it’s a secret?” Amy tilted her head. “Is it something you can’t tell me?”
Jon shook his head. “Nay, not yet.”
Amy hummed as she ran her fingers through his hair. “Well, as long as you’ll tell me eventually.”
“I will. I will.” Jon went up on his tip toes and gave her a peak on her lower chin. “But you have to release me first.”
Amy smiled as she let go of him.
Jon smiled as he ran off. “I’ll see you later!”
Amy waved before turning back to the two male hedgehogs. “I hope he didn’t cause you guys any trouble. I know he can ask a lot of questions.”
“He’s a good kid.” Sonic stated. “He mainly asked Shadow questions about Station Square and how G.U.N. territories work.”
“My. How’d that go?” Amy turned to look at Shadow.
“It wasn’t too much trouble.” Shadow shrugged. “He’s never been here before.”
Sonic arched an eyebrow at Shadow. “Did you just shrug?” he asked with his eyes. “You never shrug.”
“Shut it.” Shadow sent back with a pointed glare. “How have you been, Rose?”
“I’ve been good. My cousins came to visit. They’ll be staying with me for a few days.” Amy beamed a bright happy smile.
Shadow nodded. “Jon stated that you didn’t see each other often.”
“Yeah. Mercia is like on the other side of the world.” Amy shrugged. “I’m usually helping fighting Eggman, so I can’t always call, but we write letters to each other all the time.”
Shadow nodded.
“So how have you been, Shadow?”
“I’ve been well.” Shadow replied.
“Yeah. I beat him in a race this morning!” Sonic beamed.
Amy smiled at Sonic while Shadow just hmphed. Amy patted Shadow’s arm.
“Don’t be upset. You two are usually equal in speed. You might win next time.” Amy stated softly in an attempt to keep Shadow in a good mood.
“I’m not upset, Rose.” Shadow grabbed a hold of her hand and rubbed her knuckles with his thumb. “A bit annoyed that I lost, but I’m not upset.”
Sonic tapped his foot as he took the sight in. Shadow was being way too nice. It wasn’t a normal for the ebony hedgehog and Sonic wasn’t sure he liked it.
“Well thou wilt be Shadow the Hedgehog, I presume?” Rob clapped a hand onto Sonic’s shoulder. “It’s good to seeth thou Sonic.”
Shadow nodded as he took in the teal hedgehog. He wore thick brown boots that made him at least 3 inches taller then he actually was. His brown hood covered his quills, but still showed off his whole face. Shadow took note of the quiver full of arrows on his back and a second quiver strapped on his boots. His brown gloves flared out pass the wrist and Shadow could make out a faint design on them even though they were greatly worn.
“It’s a pleasure to meeteth thou.” Rob extended a hand to Shadow. “I am Rob O’ the Hedge.” He waved to the woman beside him. “This is mine jointress, Mari-An.”
Shadow nodded as he took in the information. Rob O’ Hedge. He had heard that name somewhere. “You’re the king of Mercia?” Shadow arched an eyebrow as they shook hands.
“Aye.” Rob smiled. “I taketh it thoust heard of me?”
“Yes. The commander is looking forward to meeting you at the peace ball. Apparently Mercia is still rather aloof at times according to my co-worker.” Shadow replied courtly.
Rob nodded with a smile. “Aye. We meaneth nay disrespect by it.” Rob paused as he looked at Amy and smiled. “That is wherefore we’ve cometh. To openeth up with oth’rs and becometh moo gentle. Aft’r all, the ordinary is a lot moo fun when thoust cater-cousins to shareth it with.”
Shadow felt the urge to scoff, but suppressed it. Rob was still a king and Shadow was required to be respectful. The last thing Shadow wanted was to be the cause of strained relations.
 “I understandeth that ye are from space. The Space Colony ARK, correcteth?” Rob gave a soft smile. Shadow nodded. “How art thou enjoying Mobius? Doeth thou liketh it hither?”
Shadow arched an eyebrow at him. Why would he care if he liked Mobius? Shadow protected Mobius because that’s what he was made for. It’s what Maria would want him to do. Why would it matter if he liked the planet or not? Shadow wouldn’t say he liked it here. He was somewhat content.
Sonic sucked in a sharp breath at Rob’s question. He wasn’t sure what Rob was thinking asking that question, but he was concern about how Shadow was going to answer. Shadow had closed his eyes and the blue blur noticed his jaw clench. Shadow was either mad or thinking. Sonic hoped it was the other.
Amy looked between Shadow and Rob as Shadow stood thinking. Rob merely kept staring at Shadow expectantly. Mari-An standing behind him. Amy was sure Shadow was mulling over the answer in his head. She could see the small traces of annoyance at the question.
“Shadow isn’t good about opening up to new people, Rob.” Amy stated.
Shadow’s ruby eyes snapped open and looked at her. She had moved to stand beside him, but also in front him. A way of shielding him from Rob’s questions? Shadow opened his mouth to interject, but Amy spoke quicker.
“Plus, Shadow is much too proud to admit when he likes something.” Amy stated. “Why don’t I finish showing you guys around? I’m sure Shadow would like a break from all these questions.” Amy looked up at Sonic as she took a breath. She gave a sweet smile. “Maybe he and Sonic have another race planned for this evening? They certainly like their competitions with each other.”
Sonic nodded, quickly catching on to Amy’s plan. “Yeah we do.” Sonic lied. “So I’ll catch up with you guys later, okay?” He shook hands with Rob before nudging Shadow in the shoulder. “Come on Shads! Let’s go have our other race!” With that Sonic zipped off.
Shadow stood stunned for a moment. He felt like he had missed something and he didn’t like that feeling. “Good evening Rose. Good evening King Rob and Queen Mari-An.” Shadow gave a court nod before zipping off in a streak of yellow orange.
Amy knew they couldn’t see her, but she waved anyway. “So, how about the city?”
“Thou upseteth him.” Rob stated with a bit of a pout.
“What?”
“Thou upseteth him. He po’r lad hath nay clue what just betid.” Rob chuckled as he shook his head.
“Thou sure sav’d his skin though.” Mari-An patted Amy on her back. “Though most men disliketh it when a woman saves their hid. Especially if he’s as prideful thou claimeth.”
Amy gulped. She hoped she hadn’t upset Shadow too much. She was only trying to help after all. Maybe Shadow would be able to see that. He was a smart guy after all.

“What in the name of Gerald happened back there?” Shadow rasped as he caught up with Sonic in the middle of a Mystic Ruins.
Sonic gave a sheepish smile as he scratched his cheek. “Congrats! You met the king of Mercia! He really is eccentric.”
“I see.” Shadow nodded. “But I have no clue what just happened. So you better start talking hedgehog.”
Sonic gulped. He knew Shadow was going to be angry. “Well, Rob asked you a question. Amy and I both knew you wouldn’t be able to give an honest answer without possibly upsetting Rob and getting in trouble with G.U.N. Plus, I thought you were going to punch Rob.” Sonic rubbed the back of his neck as he gave a nervous laugh. “Amy thought quicker and saved your butt so you wouldn’t have to answer the question.”
Shadow clenched his fist. “I can handle myself.” Shadow’s growl made Sonic take a step back.
“I know that Shadow.” Sonic put up his hands defensively. “Amy was just… Worried. You know how she can be. She just wanted to help.”
Shadow growled. He didn’t need help in carrying a conversation. He could hold one just fine. He could’ve handled the king’s stupid questions. He took a deep breath and exhaled through his nose. “Good day Sonic.” He gave a court nod before speeding off.
“Where are you going?” Sonic yelled after him.
Shadow ran back and glared at Sonic. “I’m going for a run. Alone.” He emphasized the word ‘alone’ before speeding off.
Sonic nodded as he kicked a rock. “What to do now…” he hummed.
[][][]

Deathy: I’m on the bus heading to school. I have to present an animation I made today. I’m so nervous. But I’m happy I wrote this. I’m so happy that many of you on deviantart are enjoying this story. And look, Rob! So difficult to write this man. In my head, Rob is this laid back, kind of silly guy with a mischievous side who loves riddles and question games. And sometimes he’s just a dork. But I love him. Thank you everyone for reviewing! I haven’t been writing for this story much because I’ve been busy with school work, plus, I’ve been doing a Let’s Play of Pokemon on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment