Monday, August 1, 2016

Cake and Tarot Cards

She smiled like an angel. Her emerald eyes shone brighter than any emerald he had ever possessed. She was a delight to be around. One of the few people he cared so deeply for. Though he would never admit it.

While sitting at the table in the backyard, he looked up at the polka-dotted umbrella that shaded the table. A thought crossed his mind.

"How did she meet faker?" It was a thought that he hadn't voiced aloud, but a response soon came to him.

"Why don't you ask?"

Shadow's sharp eyes darted to Rouge the Bat. She had been flying around when she spotted her co-worker and decided to fly down and say hi.

"It's none of my business." Shadow was curt with his excuse. It was just a moment of curiosity. He should bit it down before he wound up like that cat.

Rouge chuckled. "Very well," she sat in the chair beside him, "Then I'll hang around until you do."

Shadow scoffed.

"Oh hi Rouge!" Amy was surprised to see the white bat. "What brings you by?"

"I just stopped by to say hi." Rouge grinned.

"Would you like some tea and cake then? If you don't like tea, I have lemonade and some soda in the fridge." Amy offered. The two didn't always get along, but Amy was in too good a mood to fight with the bat.

"if the soda's in a can, bring me one of those," Rouge winked at the girl.

Amy disappeared into the house.

Rouge turned to the ebony hedgehog, "Why don't you help her with that heavy tray?"

"Rose is perfectly capable of carrying it herself." Shadow rebutted.

Rouge rolled her eyes.

Amy reappeared quickly with a smile ave served up tea for Shadow, soda for Rouge, and Lemonade for herself. She gave everyone a good size piece of strawberry shortcake.

Shadow ate in quiet. Enjoying the silence.

"So Amy, I'm curious," Rouge began, "How did you meet Sonic?"

Amy blinked for a moment. She smiled, a small blush forming on her cheeks at the mention of the man she loved.

Shadow hated that the very mention of faker could create such a reaction in her. Faker didn't deserve it. Not with how many times he had made Rose cry.

"It was so long ago," Amy began, "I doubt you," she glanced up at Shadow, "Two would want to hear it."

"Oh, but I do!" Sang Rouge.

Amy looked at Shadow nervously. She knew the two men weren't the best of men, so she did her best not to mention Sonic around him.

"Please, just indulge her." Shadow stated. "The sooner you do, the sooner she'll leave you in peace."

"You sound like you're talking from experience," Rouge pretended to sound hurt.

"I am," was his blunt reply.

Amy giggled. "Very well. It was several years ago. I was 8. Sonic was 11. I had done a tarot card reading and it told me I would meet my true love on Little Big Planet. So I went there and I met Sonic! It was wonderful! Well, at least until Metal and Eggman showed up." Amy frowned at their names. She was soon beaming, "But Sonikku saved me. I've done my best to be with him ever since."

Shadow sat expressionless. There were so many things wrong with that.

Rouge pondered a moment. "So you read some cards and just trusted them? Doesn't that seemed a bit flawed?"

"Of course not." 

Rouge sighed. "You know most people don't believe in fortune telling. Most just see it as amusing. And yet, here you are putting all your faith in it?"

Amy glared at the bat. "Of course. Tarot cards are hardly ever wrong."

Rouge nodded, trying not to laugh at the naive girl. "And why do you think Sonic is your true love? What if he wasn't the one the cards were directing you to. What if you're supposed to meet a different guy there and you just made a mistake chasing the wrong guy?"

Amy sat back stun. She had never thought that she was supposed to meet someone else there. Doubt now crept into her and she hated it. She didn't like doubt. She bolted from her seat and disappeared into the house.

"Rouge," Shadow growled, "Did you have to say it like that?"

"You were thinking harsher things," she spat back.

"Yeah, but I kept them to myself." Shadow pointed out.

Amy returned with a deck of cards and incense. Her emerald eyes dulled from doubt shuffled the cards.

"Are we playing poker?" Rouge asked in a half whisper.

"No. I'm going to do a reading." Amy responded as she began placing the cards on the table. Once the pattern was laid out, she flipped them over one by one. A smile appeared on the first few, but a frown soon appeared as she flipped the rest over.

Amy was dead quiet as she stared at the cards. A tear fell down her cheek. She gulped back her sadness as she looked at Rouge. "You're right." She whispered, "I fell in love with the wrong person."

"You got all that from one card reading?" Shadow didn't seem to believe it.

"How could I made such a mistake? I should have done a card reading about the both of us," Amy began to ramble.

"Hey, hey," Rouge grabbed her shoulders, "You were young. You were just so excited. You don't regret meeting Sonic and making all the friends you have now, do you?"

"No." Amy shook her head. "But I do regret some of my behavior. If I hadn't been so over-protective of Sonic, he could have already met someone."

"Amy, you're too sweet some times." Rouge shook her head, "Sonic only loves running right now."

The two girls shared a laugh it was true.

"I just wonder who it was that I was supposed to meet on Little Big Planet." Amy muttered softly as she picked up her cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment