Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Plans for a Series

I'm starting to work on several new original stories. I'm excited for it because I'm writing stories for the LGBT community. I know the long version is LGBTQQIAAP but I always flub up all the letters when I try to say it, so I shorten it to LGBT so I don't embarrass myself and because all people know what LGBT means at this point. But I feel like there is a lack of books dealing with characters who are within this community.
I once heard someone say, "If it doesn't exist yet, create it."
So that's what I'm doing. I'm going to write create and write those stories. My friend also wants to write a children/young adult series for the LGBT, which she asked me to help her with. She currently isn't able to get much done and is still in the planning stage. Her story so far seems very grounded in reality.
That's what makes us different.
I write using mythical creatures or elements of magic or science fiction. I rarely stay in reality. I love to write fantasy. As my teacher, Ms. Leslie has said, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."  And that's what I love to do. I've read books like Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber, Goosebumps by R.L. Stine, Shakespeare, Hollow Fields by Madeleine Rosca, The Brothers Grimm, The Dreaming by Queenie-Chan, Hans Christian Anderson, Lynsay Sands' Argeneau series, and several others. I even read the first 2 books of the Twilight series. The over-arcing theme of them, is that a sense of magic is added to them.
And that's how I write. I either write fanfiction or I write stories with some sort of magical element in them. I'm sure many of you have figured that out by reading what I post here. I already have a vague idea of what I'm doing for 3 of the stories. Each as a mythical creature in it too.

The creatures I have in mind to use are:
Banshee,
Ghost,
Kelpie,
Witch/Wizard

I'm actually going out of my way to not use creatures that I feel have been over-used or flooding us in the media. Vampires and Zombies seem to be the top two write now. I feel like they're everywhere and that we're all just drowning in them. I don't want to write a book  with them and have someone tell me the same thing has been done in something else. I didn't add werewolves because I don't see them as often, but they're definitely up there.
Anyway, I'll share some of what I write with you guys as I go. I hope you guys will like it.

And for those who don't know what LGBTQQIAAP stands for, here you go:
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Queer
Questioning
Intersex
Asexual
Allies
Pansexual

No comments:

Post a Comment