Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pick a Theme

Wrote this during my fantasy literature class. We were given a list of themes and told to write for at least one.
Themes:
Corruption
Moral
Honor
Killer
Cop
Bastard

“How long have you been alone?” I murmur softly as I walk in the small room. She didn’t stir. Her long brown hair swaying from the draft caused by the crack I had left in the window for her. “Have you eaten any since I’ve been away?” I sit on the plastic toy box by the window. Drawing my legs up, I glance out the window. The woods are still the same. Cursed to forever be green outside the window. The leaves had already turned red and orange in the city. Many had already fallen with only a few stubbornly holding on. Refusing to die.
I sigh through my nose as I turn to face her. She was laying on the green mattress on the lower bunk. The two bunk was just a metal frame, the mattress was long ago thrown away. Now the bunk bed was converted into a canopy bed thanks to them tying sheets around the metal frame in the right places.
“I have to make dinner soon.” I say glancing around at the old toys scattered on the tile floor. “What would you like?” I look at her hopefully. Praying she’ll answer. That she’ll finally speak. How long had it been since I last heard her voice?
I sigh in defeat as I slide off the toy box. “I have a visitor. I’m going to check up on him. I’ll come back to get you ready for dinner.” I open the door and give her one more long sorrowful look.
The hallway is as long as ever. The only thing decorating the wall is a small metal door for the electric box that controls all the power in the house. I reach the end and glare at the door on my left. Through this door is the basement. My toolbox is down there, but snakes and possoms have been known to crawl under the house and sleep there. I open the door and look into the pool of blackness below.
My keys jingle as I unhook them from my pants and press the button for the mini flashlight on it. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust, but once adjusted, I nod. No snakes. No possoms. No other strange forest critters of sorts appeared to be down there. I brace my hand against the wall as I walk down. With no railing on the other side, I never quite feel comfortable on this stair case. It’s like walking on an old rope bridge that doesn’t have railing and wobbles with every step you talk. At least with the stairs, I get closer to the ground with each step.
I scan the basement for the dented green box. I smirk as I pick it up off of the washer. With my toolbox in hand, I walk back up the stairs. I have a visitor waiting for me. I can’t let him sit alone all day.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” Gains screams as I walk into the room I had shown him too earlier. I purse my lips. I guess he didn’t like being handcuffed and tied up with rope to a chair that was nailed to the floor.
“And here I thought I had made you comfortable.” I tsk as I set my tool box on the table.
“Let me go you basket case!” Mr. Gains demands, trying to kick me with his free foot. Maybe I should have tied his legs to that chair too.
“Now, now.” I open up my box and sift through its contents. “You need to be a good boy. If you’re not good then I can’t bring you to dinner.”
“I don’t any dinner from you. I want to go home!” Mr. Gains yelled as he threw himself forward.
“Yes. Yes.” I nod as I pull out several tools. Pliers, channel locks, screw driver, and duct tape. “You’ll be going home shortly Mr. Gains. But first,” I pull a good length of duct tape off the wall. “I need you to be a good boy until dinner.”
It took a while, but I tied Mr. Gains feet to the chair so he couldn’t hurt himself. He didn’t bother to cover Mr. Gains’ mouth. She couldn’t hear him from here. Plus, if he screamed himself horse, then he couldn’t be rude at dinner.

Dinner was set nicely. It smelled delicious. I had the kitchen perfect for this evening. I had dressed her nicely and she sat up. She looked like a beautiful angel. It took a while to move Mr. Gains from the chair I tied him to earlier to a wheelchair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment