Friday, January 2, 2015

Leelah Alcorn

Leelah Alcorn

I’ve been seeing a lot of her on Tumblr. At first, I was very confused, because I don’t watch the news often. I got the gist of what had happened very quickly. Today I found a link to Leelah’s Tumblr as an html thanks to some wonderful people on Tumblr. I’ll link to those below.
Leelah was a beautiful young woman who was shun, not only be society, but by her own parents. As a child, we seek acceptance, especially from our parents. It’s human nature. We all want someone to love and accept us.
I feel like Leelah didn’t get that. She was a normal teenage girl who felt insecure. That feeling is perfectly normal. What isn’t normal is for parents not to support their child. She wanted your acceptance, and you denied her. And not only that, you cut her off from the support she could get. For what? What did you cut her off for? Because you were embarrassed? You felt your daughter was an embarrassment to you?
What about how your daughter felt? How did she feel? How did she feel with you constantly telling her that there was something wrong with her? How did she feel being told that she was an embarrassment for you? Did you every think about that? Did you ever think about what you were doing to your daughter?
If there was a prize for horrible parenting, I think you, parents of Leelah Alcorn, would be awarded. You refused to accept your daughter. You refused to allow her to be herself. And that hurt her. You took her out of school and cut her off from the world. You hurt your own daughter dearly and that angers me and several people.
Leelah Alcorn, a beautiful young woman, I hope you find peace in the afterlife. I hope you can still see this world and see that there are a lot people talking about you. Discussing what happened in your life and that there are people who support you. There are people who are going to make sure your death means something. There are people who are lobbing for change. We are sharing your words, we are reading them, we are understanding, or at least trying to understand them.
There are a lot of things that I may not understand, I will strive to understand. I, myself, will use my talents to show support. I think that everyone should use their talents and their voices to discuss what we as a society teach our children about gender issues and how we as a society accept trans people, and just people in general.
That’s really all I have to say at the moment.
Lots of love and hugs for Leelah Alcorn! I hope you are able to rest in peace. I hope you feel all the love and support people have and are putting out there.

Rest in Peace
Leelah Alcorn
A beautiful young lady
November 15th, 1997 – December 28th, 2014

Links to Leelah’s Tumblr:


No comments:

Post a Comment