Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Beware of the Job Interview Scam

So I have been looking for full time work so that I can have better stability then the current part time job I have. It can be discouraging especially since everything is online, but we all know how online works. Unfortunately job sites are littered with scams and it's very upsetting. So you either have to find these companies on their website, but we don't always know if these companies are hiring or not. It really just boils down to who you know and it's like a maze of knocking on numerous doors and getting nowhere.
So I received this email from Bernita Thompson ( bernitathompson81@gmail.com ) on July 15th, 2019 at 11:01 am. I was too shocked and hopeful about the job. Though I was very confused about the 35$ an hour statement. I've only been asking for 10$ an hour for full time work.

I also received a text from 16144346615 at 12:28pm. It basically said the same thing. And that's when I checked my email. I forgot to screencap the text. I might add it later. 
But I informed my boyfriend and he told me it sounded too good to be true. But still I attempted to remain optimistic. But he told me to call the company to make sure that the people contacting me were real. I also informed my friend T who also said it sounded scammish. But I have nothing to lose by going through an interview. 
I tried to call the Darlene Banks ( darlenebanks01@gmail.com ) via google hangouts, since I figured that's what they were wanting to do. Instead, they kept everything via text. Which was the major red flag of sketchy sketch. But I played along.
















I did attempt to contact the company yesterday, but I got voicemail, so I believe they were closed. This morning this Darlene Banks told me to contact my training supervisor ( jasondavid857@gmail.com ). I decided to take my chance and call the company again and the gentleman who answered was polite enough to inform me it was a scam, but did tell me if I was looking for work, I could apply on their official site. He sounded very apologetic and I appreciate that. I just feel bad that there is nothing that can either be done, or is being done to stop people like this.
So for those of us who are trying with stars in our eyes, beware of people like this. Don't trust anything that says work form home. If you see a job posted on sites like INDEED, Ziprecruiter, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, any of those job sites, It would be best to go to that company's official website to apply.
Something similar to this has happened to my boyfriend as well. With them sending him a fake check and his bank informing him so. He called the company and the website were he applied. They couldn't do much to stop them. He took the fake check to the police station to report it and the police officer told him, "You know I can arrest you if you attempt to cash that."
It was rude and made my boyfriend wish he never tried to do the right thing. The only thing we can do is be mistrustful because the internet is full of lies, but most companies when you arrive tell you to go online, so it's like a cycle of do I trust the internet? Does this even reach them? The personality tests are also rigged because if you hit too many red flags on that, your resume is flagged for do not hire. It's depressing. But I am determined to carry myself forward the best I can. I hope the same for the rest of you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment