Saturday, August 26, 2017

Ouran High School Host Club Manga Review

Hello my kittens!
So last week I ordered the whole collection of Ouran High School Host Club Manga by Bisco Hatori.
Now I read Host Club a few years back in high school. My sister and I had up to at least volume 7 for sure. But my mom put all of my things in storage so I had to recollect my precious books. And today, I started with Host Club.
Now I had read the whole thing online before. But those were fan translations and not everything was translated properly. That's why I'm happy I have the full thing in official English translation.
I also found that Host Club is rated Teen. My sisters and I had an interesting conversation about book ratings because my oldest niece has begun reading manga too and her mom is concern about the content of some of them. It was a fun conversation.
But back to Host Club. The box the books come in has really pretty art on all sides and a handle at the top so you can carry it. I also like the little memo pad that came with it. I don't have a use for it now, but I'll think of one. I actually expected the memo pad to have bun-bun and tamaki's teddy on it, but it didn't. It had chibis of the host club which made me smile.
So  for story, we all have the basic jest down, Haruhi accidentally breaks an 80$ million vase and says she'll pay it back. She winds up working for the host club to pay back the debt. They later find out she's a girl and we dive head first into a romantic comedy from here.
So for those here who haven't read the manga yet and might not be sure if you want to, let me take the time to address you. Are you a fan of romantic comedies? Or just comedies in general? Then by all means find the first volume at a book store or library and read it. If you enjoy what you've read, read the rest. If not, move onward. It might not be your thing. This is how I get into manga. I read the first volume and decide from there to continue onward.
Now the beauty with Host Club is that while the characters don't age, they do develope. They grow and they expand their worlds and that's awesome. And when it comes time for the characters to progress in school such as the oldest members of the host club graduating and going to college, the characters around in the manga actually make jokes about it. It's just such a charming thing to see that it makes it even more enjoyable. Bisco Hatori did a good job with that. I actually began crying while reading the manga at around vol 11 or so. Because the way she writes the emotional scenes really reach out and touch my heart. And it also knows when to be funny and when to let the emotions just sit for a while.
I am glad that the ending is pretty much a happily ever after. And another thing I enjoyed were Bisco Hatori's little breif peeks at the future. Those were great. I really enjoyed the notes next to them. Though I would like to see some one shots of their futures, it's not needed and the story itself is wonderfully written and takes time to develop the characters so we can become attached to them.
And with that, I highly recommend Host Club to read and if you're going to read it, please complete it.
Hugs kittens!

No comments:

Post a Comment