Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Woke up to a surprise this morning

So I began watching a news channel called The Young Turks on YouTube. And this morning, I watched this video: 

Basically two guys, 18 and 27, brought GUNS, like actual guns, to a pokemon match in Boston. This fact just blew my mind. I found another article about it. It has a video of actual attendants talking. You can read/watch it here:
My problem is, it's Pokemon. It's a game. This is something that is aimed towards children that many of us young adults grew up with. I remember watching Pokemon as a small child and at 21, I still have fond memories of it. This was supposed to be a convention where a bunch of fans got together and played some games and just have fun. 
There's a major problem if people are threatening to shoot up a convention and it's very concerning to me.
Like I get it, we're America. Guns and shootings happen all the time here. And over the stupidest of shit. But that's the problem. Parents shouldn't have to worry about someone coming into their child's school and taking their life. I shouldn't have an innate fear of being large crowded rooms where the doors could lock you inside (Gyms, cafeterias, movie theaters) because I have a strange paranoia fear of shootings happening because I watch a few too many crime documentaries and hear about a few too many shootings. Like I've felt uncomfortable in movie theaters since 2006/2007 when I started to become aware of all the shootings that happen.
But to hear and find out about Pokemon. That's frightening. It's a convention. The one place I thought that would be untouched by crazy gun toting people. It really turns a lot of things on their heads for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment