Saturday, August 24, 2019

Witch and Kelpie Ch1


Krissie: I am planning on making a slice of life comic based off of these characters. So, I wanted to share the original book that they came from. I hope you enjoy and share your opinions with me. The story will be published on a schedule.
Chapter 1: A Deal
The air was stiff as he came to the new shore. He couldn’t believe how different the coast of North America was compared to his home of Scotland. The boat’s horn flared as it docked. Caiside cringed at the sound.
“Why must they ring that horn?” he muttered as he looked over the railing. The water was very different too. He sighed as he walked off the boat. This country was his new home, rather he liked it or not.
Caiside had only one tall rolling suit case with him. His curly hair clung to his moist skin as he walked away from the boat. He needed to get away from the coast before he ran home like a child. If he was going to make it in this country, he’d need to find a new home.

Donald glanced up at the chime of the bell of his bookstore. It was pouring outside, so he shouldn’t have any customers today. No one ever came into his store when it was raining. People barely came in when it was sunny. Donald marveled at his guest.
The man was soaking wet but seemed indifferent to it. His curly black hair clung to his body and looked like a wet mop. His yellow stripped sweater clung to his body revealing all the muscles underneath. Donald gulped at the sight. Large greyish green eyes flicked up to him.
“Um… Hello!” Donald greeted as he put down a pile of books. “How can I help you?”
“Is this the library?” He walked up to the counter, rolling a tall suit case behind him. He had a slight accent that Donald could only place as European.
“Hollins Books is a library, but we’re also a book store.” Donald informed as he walked over to look at him. “I guess it’s really pouring outside. Did you lose your umbrella?”
“I did not bring one.” He responded, looking around. “I just arrived in this country today.”
“Ah.” Donald nodded. It all made sense now. He must be wanting to spend the night at the library. “Let me get you a map of hotels in the area.” He got this all the time. He pulled out a pamphlet from the drawer. Man, he wished that just once a hot guy would come in to discuss books with him. “Here ya go. Can I get you anything else?”
He stared at the pamphlet dumbly before looking back up at him. “Actually, I was wondering if I could have a job application.” He gave a meek smile.
Donald tilted his head and arched an eyebrow. “Do you have a work visa?”
“Yes.” He nodded, pulling the damp documents out of his pockets.
Donald nodded as he pulled out the application. “Shouldn’t you be looking for a place to live first?”
“I do not have the funds in your currency.” His voice was so soft, it was almost a whisper. “That’s the trouble with being thrown out.”
Donald was sure he wasn’t supposed to hear that last part, but he did. Something about the idea of the man being thrown out made Donald feel bad for him. “What’s your name?”
“Caiside Lithgow.” He continued filling out the form.
“Donald I. Hollins.” Donald went back to sorting the rest of the books.
“Coincidence or related to owners?” Caiside asked.
“Related. My ancestors built this building years ago.” Donald answered as he stacked the books on the shelves.
“So which relative owns this shop now?” Caiside mused.
“My great Aunt Bethel.” Donald began reorganizing the kids’ section. “She’s rather busy though, so I wind up doing a lot of the work here for her.”
“She has no children?”
“Nah. She’s got plenty of kids. They just,” Donald paused as he skimmed over the store, “Don’t have the same love of books that we do.”
Caiside nodded as he put the pen back in the cup. He put his documents back in his pockets. He picked up the pamphlet and skimmed over it. He didn’t have any money to stay in one of these places. At least not yet. “Do you know were any parks are? Close by?”
Donald froze as he looked at him. “You really have nothing, huh?”
Caiside nodded in shame. He hated feeling shame in front of a mortal. He was a kelpie, a proud scarce race. Yet even among their few numbers, he had been cast out. Forced to leave Scotland, his precious home. It seemed all Caiside could do now was feel shame.
“Why did you come to America without any money?” Donald’s voice rose.
Caiside avoided his gaze. “It was my only choice. Had I’d stayed, even in my own country,” Caiside swallowed back his tears. He couldn’t allow himself to stay in pain. “I came. I’m here. There’s no turning back now.” He made the sternest face he could. “Now about that park?”
“Let me go find a map for you.” Donald rushed to the back of the store. “They’re kept in the back. Just stay there until I get back.”

Donald began rummaging through the maps. Surely they had an up to date one that listed parks and other safe places to sleep on it.
“Donald?”
Donald jumped at the feminine voice. “Aunt Beth. What are you doing here? You said you wouldn’t be back from the conference until tomorrow.”
Bethel smiled at her nephew. “I came home a day early. What are you doing back here?” She arched an eyebrow at him.
“Getting a map.” Donald gave a shy smile, “For a guy up front.”
“Tell me about him.” Bethel crossed her arms. Donald sighed as he relayed what he knew of Caiside Lithgow to his great aunt. “Hmm…” she hummed, “I’d like to meet him.” She sauntered her way to the front of the shop.

Caiside stared as a woman walked up to the front of the store. He had heard her heels clicking on the floor long before he saw her. She was a beautiful elegant woman. She was dressed as if she came from the times of kings and queens. Her perfume was a heavy floral scent.
“Hello!” She smiled as she reached the counter. “I’m Bethel Hollins. You must be Caiside Lithgow, am I right?”
“Yes.” Caiside nodded. There was no way this woman could be Donald’s aunt. She was much too young.
“Well, while my nephew is busy getting that map for you, would you mind turning the sign to close for me? I just got home from a long conference and I want to treat Donald for being a good boy while I was away.
“Okay.” Caiside wasn’t sure why, but something about Bethel made him uncomfortable. He turned the sign and walked back to the counter.
Bethel was quietly reading his job application as she spun every so often in the computer chair. He glanced to the back of the shop were Donald had gone. He wished Donald would return soon. He missed him.
“So…” Bethel held the word in a long vowel, drawing Caiside’s attention to her. “How long have you not been mortal?”
Caiside gulped.
How did she know? Wait! She must be joking, playing a prank on him.
“What are you talking about?” He tried to sound calm.
Bethel sighed. “Miserae hec dea ventuset siccabo venameius coram me.” [Latin – Goddess of wind dry this poor creature before me.]  She waved her hand as she chanted.
A gust of wind surrounded Caiside, drying his hair and clothes before dying down into nothing.
“Aunt Bethel!” Donald exclaimed as he ran between them. “Stop it!  You know you’re not supposed to use your magic like that. Especially on regular people.”
Bethel arched an eyebrow at her nephew. She knew the rules very well. She was a sorceress after all.
“You’re a witch.” Caiside stated as he processed the information.
“Sorceress actually.” Bethel corrected with a crooked grin.
Donald glared at her before laughing. “Ha-ha. Aren’t you funny!” He turned to Caiside. “Aunt Bethel really likes to joke around sometimes.”
“Donald Irwin Hollins.” Bethel’s voice was cold and sharp.
“Yes Aunt Bethel?” Donald smiled as he turned to face her.
“Caiside here isn’t mortal.” She gestured towards the curly haired man. “It’s okay to tell him we’re magic.”
Donald slowly turned to Caiside. “You’re not mortal?”
Caiside shook his head. “No. You’re a sorcerer?”
“No. I’m a witch.” Donald answered. “What are you?”
“You can’t tell?” Bethel gave her nephew a look of pity.
“I didn’t even realize he wasn’t mortal.” Donald shrugged. “Of course I don’t know what he is.”
Bethel smirked. “Then why don’t we play a game? Caiside, I’ll need your corporation for this.”
Caiside arched an eyebrow at her. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to play a game with Bethel. No one in their right mind would agree to a game with a sorceress.
“Donald here is out of shape with his magic. All you have to do is stick around. I’ll supply you with room and board. You can work here too. You’ll be paid of course.” Bethel leaned forward. “Donald, you’re going to figure out what Caiside is. Caiside, you can’t tell him. You can give hints, but only with my permission. Let’s give a time limit of, let’s say, 4 months. That should be plenty of time. Donald, if you are able to succeed, I’ll get you a gift that will suit you well. If you fail, I’ll make you run up and down the coast line again. Twice. Caiside, rather Donald succeeds or not, I shall set you up with a new home here. You can even give your approval, if you like. So what do you say?” She leaned back and grinned. “The only one with anything at stake here is Donald after all.”
“Do I get a say in this?” Donald question.
“Nope.” Bethel popped the P loudly. “Well Caiside Lithgow? What do you say?”
Caiside clenched his fist. “What happens to me if I accidentally tell him what I am?”
“I erase his memory of that day and give you a long lecture you’ll never want again.” Bethel was nonchalant with her statement.
Donald gulped.
“What happens if I decline?”
“Donald has to run along the coast twice and you’re on your own in navigating this new country.” Bethel’s grin made Caiside fidget.
Caiside knew he didn’t have many options here. And no matter how he flipped the coin, this was his best option and he wasn’t going to get any better opportunity then this. Caiside sighed. He wasn’t loosing anything by agreeing to this deal. In fact, he was gaining a lot. “Very well, I agree to your game.”
Bethel smacked her lips. “Goody, goody gumdrops!” She stood up and spun. “Now, let’s go get dinner!” She pranced to the door and locked it before grabbing the two men’s arms and dragging them to the back door. “I don’t suppose you’ve ever had McDonald’s before Caiside. Consider it a new experience!”
NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment